Saturday, July 28, 2012

First Day

I arrived here this morning at around 10am.
I thought that I was going to be all alone on the plane, so I spread myself out on the two seats and got ready for a first-class grade sleep. At the very last minute, a girl came tumbling in all out of breath and frantic and sat next to me. She immediately asked what I was doing in Argentina, and it turns out we are both in the IES program. Her name is Devorah which wasn't my favorite because it seems like a cheap Deborah knock-off and she was a little bit too peppy for tired Audrey, but she was very nice. Definitely not as on top of it as I would like to think that I am...her bag was 70 pounds and she had to pay the $200 fine. I'm glad I checked before I packed everything! We ended up having some good conversations. She is from Chicago.
When I got to the airport, I was met by IES staff after customs. They were really nice and helped us set up taxis. I rode with a girl named Danielle, who lives around the corner from me in Recoleta. She is from Old Lyme and went to the Williams School (on the Connecticut College campus)...small world. She is SO nice, I absolutely loved her. She goes to school in Texas and has a serious boyfriend who goes to Brown. I look forward to going out with her and definitely think that she would make an excellent travel companion.
When I got to Liliana's apartment, I was feeling a little homesick, which is no surprise to me. I tried to prepare myself for the worst, but was still shocked when her apartment didn't look like a Park Avenue penthouse. It isn't bad, in fact it is probably comparable to my own house. It is just a different style- tile floor in the bedroom without a rug, shower head in the bathroom without a tub or shower door, bare-minimum furnishings, unpretentious kitchen. On the other hand, it is a very safe area and it has a doorman, which makes me feel fancy when entering the building.
After about five minutes of trying to figure out a calling card, Liliana told me that she had to go to work and that I could go with her. I didn't really understand this at all because she kept on saying "el campo" and talking about the animals that would be found in el campo, or the country. I thought we were going to the countryside to ride horses, so I was a little concerned about having my TB flats on. Alas, a bus ride later, we were at a huge farm and livestock exposition. Apparently it comes every year for two weeks and draws crowds from all over the country. Liliana works at a store which can be described as a gaucho Ralph Lauren. They had a pop-up store at the exposition. Liliana introduced me to some of her younger co-workers and sent me off with Fernando (name?) who bought me lunch and walked me around the exposition for about an hour and a half. There were tons of polo horses, huge cattle, and gaucho clothing and accessories. Fernando was extremely nice. He is 26 years old and spoke English with me which made me feel more comfortable. I appreciate that he hung out with me because I doubt he really wanted to babysit a 20 year old American girl at the farm festival. He took the bus home with me because he lives down the street.
I was feeling extremely homesick once I got home because I was alone and Liliana was still working. After a nap, I asked the doorman where I could find a cafe and he gave me directions to one down the street. Naturally, I got the Irish coffee because I thought some alcohol would pick my mood up a little bit. It worked, plus the two pastries. I sat and drew a zentangle while people watching and remembering how happy I am that I am not a nanny in a foreign country.

Liliana has a copy of "The Nanny Diaries" in English in her bookshelf. I am going to read that until she comes home around 8. I have a headache from crying, alcohol, and caffeine. Things will only get better from here!

I have used the last of my computer charge on this blog and cannot seem to figure out my travel converter. Hopefully I can find a new one tomorrow.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MOMMY!!

2 comments:

  1. Dreezy, thank you for this wonderful blog post! I am so happy that you met two girls already and that you liked them both! I love knowing that you live in a doorman apartment. I love the fact that you were a little confused about what you would be doing with Liliana (I must admit that I was sometimes a little confused about what people were saying en francais when we traveled in France but I thought I handled it beautifully and you can use me as a role model). This all sounds fabulous, especially the way you pulled yourself up by the tbs and went out into the world to have an irish coffee and pastries and do some zentangling. It can probably be noted here that zentangling will be your salvation in Augentina... please date and save all your notecards so we can post the collection! Sign me... your very proud mummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kid, great blog. Sounds like you are making the transition with your usual aplomb.

    I love you so much.

    Paps
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete