Monday, August 27, 2012

Parent's Visit!

I had so much fun with my parents when they visited! We did not do a ton of culturally or historically significant site-seeing, but there isn't a lot of that here anyway. Instead, my parents adjusted to the Latin American way of life. While I was in class, they wandered around the city, ate, drank wine, and took naps. Maybe my parents will tell a slightly more motivated version of their trip, but bottom line is, it was relaxing and probably very boring at times. But hanging around doing nothing seems to be how many people spend their days here. I had to go to 4 cafes before finding one to work in because they were all full of women chatting! 

Nonetheless, we did go on some good adventures! 

My mom and I in front of the Teatro Colon  
We went to El Tigre and took an hour long boat ride around what the NYTimes refers to as, "what Venice might have looked like before development." I am not sure if that is true. But I do know that I really don't like boats. I always pretend that it will be fine until I'm on it feeling nauseous... 

A boat on the El Tigre river.
The El Tigre art museum 
My parent's friends, the Knight's, were in Buenos Aires at the same time!
My Dad and I doing the 9 de Julio Challenge (I made it up): Try to cross all of the streets in one set of red lights! You have to walk the whole time, though. No nerdy running. I have only done it once. 

In the middle of 9 de Julio, with el obelisco behind us.
Beautiful day for the San Telmo market!
San Telmo market

My friends and I after a dinner with my parents. It was fun having my parents meet all of my friends here. 

Mom and Dad looking lovely in front of a famous Argentine restaurant, La Cabrera

We ordered 2 big hunks of meat, which came with tons of little sides. 


Me and Dad in front of the Casa Rosada, their White House

My parents in front of a pretty building that my Dad liked! 

It turned out to be a museum about their sewers and water systems (or something like that)....right up my Dad's alley! I just remember it being REALLY hot. They overuse heaters here. 

The Recoleta Cemetery is so cool. Could you imagine being put to rest in something comparable to a mini chapel?!

My Dad walking

My Dad's reaction when I told him that I would be returning home with them! Oh, and a really yummy mojito!
Right before my parents left:(
And unrelated to my parent's visit...
My new room! My desk is about to be cleaned...also notice my NEW baby blanky on the bed because my old one was ripped to shreds by overuse. Thank you, Mommy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment